Sunday, April 6, 2014

|Event| New Circles Plus Size Prom Donations

My birthday is less than one week away. As I face turning 31, I think about all the things I’ve done, and how some of those things seem so long ago. Especially at this time of year, prom always comes to mind. It feels like forever ago that I went to my high school prom (fade into movie montage of my two proms...yup, I’m an OAC grad, last of my kind, so I got two proms!)

Prom...getting all dressed up. Picking out the perfect dress and shoes. Doing your hair and makeup just so. Obviously getting your nails done! It’s an incredible time. When I went to prom, which was over a decade ago (wow...is it getting hot in here...anyone else seeing double?) I wish I had the selection of dresses that the plus size girl has today! But I know it can still be difficult, not to mention expensive.

A few days ago I was contacted by the New Circles Community Services, an non-profit organization that helps low-income families. One important mission of New Circles is to aid the youth of these families put together a dream prom look, at no charge to them. They unfortunately are low on plus size and accessory donations and I offered to help by getting the word out there about what they do.

New Circles will be taking donations (everything from shoes, dresses, accessories, makeup, suits, tuxedos and more) up until April 17th. The event itself will take place on April 26th, from 10am to 4pm. Personal shopper volunteers will spend an hour with each student to give them a full shopping experience and deck them out from head to toe. Knowing how pricey prom can be, I think this is such an amazing cause!

If you are interested in helping out in anyway, please check out New Circles for more information. You can also find them on Facebook. Please donate if you can. Prom is something everyone should be able to experience and everyone deserves to look fabulous for their special night.

No comments:

Post a Comment