Wednesday, November 6, 2013

|Style| On Wednesdays We Wear Black...

DSC02835
I don’t know about you, but I am living for the current season of American Horror Story: Coven.  A fan of the series since the start, even though I hate being scared, I’ve watched (mostly through my fingers, covering my eyes) and loved every incarnation of Jessica Lange’s characters.  But I have to say that Coven has been less scary and more story driven and certainly more fashionable than the past seasons.  (For example the serious Grace Coddington vibe Frances Conroy’s Myrtle Snow is serving).  And can we just talk about the addition of Gabourey Sidibe?  I think she is an amazing actress and I am so excited to see what they do with her character.  It’s a breath of fresh air to finally see a plus size actress like Gabourey on a popular show like Coven, that isn’t just there to be the butt of the joke or a run-on sentence of self depreciation.  
Channeling my inner Fiona Goode and following her advice, I wore “something black”.  While I don’t usually dress all in black, I find myself being more and more attracted to it lately.  I work as a makeup artist on the side, so it’s the colour (or lack thereof) of the uniform. There is something sexy and mysterious about wearing all black.  Dare I say, even witchy.
DSC02823
I am in love with this Addition Elle dress!  To be honest I had been eyeing the lace swing dress from Asos, which has been on my wish list, among a few other things for a while now (hint hint bf).  So when I saw this in store I just bit the bullet and bought it.  The lace is a paisley, with an under layer slip that is attached at the the neckline but free flowing at the side seams (sorry for the fashion tech geek moment - that stuff is important to me!).  It is so comfortable.  It’s soft and stretchy, but with a great fit and shape.  I even went down a size!

As much as I am in love with the dress, this blazer is one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.  It has an open front, fitted sleeve and structured shoulder.  I love me a good shoulder pad when it’s done well.  And the best part?  It was on sale!  I went into Reitmans on a whim, just to see what was up.  They tend to have a more conservative vibe, so I don’t usually find things to my taste there, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The jacket was reduced from $70 down to $59.99 with an extra 30% off!  Goes to show you, even if you don’t usually like a brand or line, it’s worth creepin‘ on sometimes.
DSC02825
Lately I feel like my ring obsession is getting ridiculous.  I never used to like more than just a statement ring or a knuckle duster.  But since my nail game has been elevated, the rings had to follow suit.  These ones are some of my favourites, from all over really (mainly Aldo Accessories, Urban Outfitters and Little Burgundy) .  I’m really into to midi rings (if you hadn’t noticed).  Gold is almost always my metal of choice.  I like the warmth it brings to my skin tone and my looks.  I do like the mixed metal detail of this necklace and the 60s long pendant vibe it has.  I thought it was a good pairing with the shape of the dress and length of the blazer.  Chic, with just enough emphasis.   

While I may not possess the powers of the Supreme, it is fun to play dress up as one.  
DSC02843
Outfit Details:

dress and necklace - Addition Elle | blazer - Reitmans | boots - Penningtons | leggings - Old Navy | scarf - Aldo Accessories  

No comments:

Post a Comment